Last weekend, we had the big moving/yard/garage/rummage sale and that nearly did me in. Both days I was kicked inside by noon by my caregivers and put to bed with fevers.
The week before, I went to the Mayo for a regular 90-day checkup and the news was good/bad. The good was that the NHL was still in clinical remission - no sign of disease. The bad was that my lungs were worse - more stuff showing up in the CT scan. So we decided that I would go off the experimental drug for 28 days, the maximum allowed under the rules of the study, to see if I could clear up the chronic lung/sinus problems that have been plaguing me for the last two years.
Then there were the fevers. I felt the first on come on as my daughter and I were returning home after picking her up in Madison at the end of the school year. For two weeks I was running mostly low-grade fevers that left me racked with chills and sweats and with no energy whatsoever. This made preparations for the big sale even more difficult. Fortunately there were lots of others chipping in to make it work. We moved a lot of stuff out and made enough to keep the family in groceries for a while.
So, back to the medical side for a minute. After the sale, I could barely get out of bed. The coughing had risen to new levels and I had to irrigate my sinuses each morning to clear out the gremlins that had taken up residence over night. Not good. Plus the fevers started to spike higher.
I consulted with my GP and we decided to see a Pulmonologist. I was able to get in last Wednesday and am now on a high-dose steroid regimen that will taper down over the next three weeks (my deadline for the lung fix). In addition, I am taking a strong antibiotic to counter act the immune system depression caused by the prednisone.
Is it working? Well, no fevers for four out of the past five days. My sinuses have improved dramatically and I can breath through the night. The coughing has improved but has quite a way to go. I have more energy and can actually enjoy the days again.
I am optimistic at this point. I need to kick this thing because when I go back to the Mayo in three weeks for another scan, I need to show improvement. If not, I am probably out of the study.
We will see. More later.