Friday, October 21, 2011

Musings

It is three weeks now since I got my new hip. The recovery is going well. No bone pain, just soft tissue soreness and lingering bruising. I walk with a cane that is used mostly for balance rather than a support. I am grateful that this has worked as well as it did.

I am also thoughtful about the circumstances that allowed me to have this expensive procedure without adding a mortgage to my house or selling a child into bondage. I feel ashamed that I live in a country where I am privileged, able to do this while others cannot.

I look at our country and truly believe that it is not the same one I grew up in. When did our national priorities grow so askew? How is it that the resources of one of the greatest nations on earth are devoted to war (undeclared), and to the rich rather than to health, education, infrastructure, and the general well being of the nation? I am not sure how we got here, but I know what it is that lead us - greed.

I look at us (the nation) and I see the problems, but I do not know how to solve them. Our system of government is not working. Our congress is deadlocked and either committed to party dogma, or incompetent when it comes to trying to solve the nation's problems. How do we fix this?

People are demonstrating on Wall Street and around the country, but what will that really do? We need to abolish the current system. I do not believe that it can be repaired. It is too entrenched in polarizing, moneyed interests that work not for the common good, but for the financial sources that provide the funding. How to change this?

I guess that I am feeling so frustrated because I do not see a way to get beyond our current position. Do any of you see a way? If you have an idea, I would surely like to hear it.

Enough with the complaining. On the health front, as far as I know, things are good. My hip condition continues to improve at a good rate. I go to the Mayo next week for a regular checkup which will involve the dreaded, but necessary CT scan to see what's happening inside. Wish me luck. I'll let you know what's up when I find out.

Ta ta.

4 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

so glad your recovery is going well. certainly hoping the CT scan reveals good news also.

as for ideas. i don't have any real ones either but i fully concur that our current system is irretrievably broken and your assessment of who runs things.

3:58 PM, October 22, 2011  
Blogger Kristie said...

I'm glad your recovery is going well.

As for the country, I agree with you on all counts. Solutions are thin on the ground, but one thing I am certain of is that nothing will change until people start thinking in terms of "we" instead of "me," at all levels. When we take a note from Spock, and consider the good of the many over the good of just number one (I paraphrase.) What's good for all of us is good for all of us. But it only takes one person out for him/herself to blow the whole system. Unfortunately, there's plenty more than one.

It is the illusion of separateness, from each other, from our environment, that in the end will hurt us all. It's only a matter of time. But when tribalism and parochialism seems to be human nature, or at least human habit, I don't know how you get through that. The only comfort I can take is that this, too, shall pass. The pendulum will swing as it must, in time.

2:02 AM, October 23, 2011  
Blogger David Haas said...

Hello,
I have a question about your blog. Please email me!
Thanks,
David

11:25 AM, October 31, 2011  
Blogger Crunchy Mama said...

Hope you're still doing well, and everything has been good on your end. How has the recovery been? My mother had her left knee replaced a few years back, fared quite well and with some work it was a huge improvement.
Been a long-time follower but only a sporadic commenter. Sorry for that, sir.
Best wishes. You were near Hannibal, MO this summer during your travels - I live about 15 minutes north and west of there in Quincy, IL. Small world.

3:32 AM, January 22, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home