Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 3

Today was not nearly as adventurous as yesterday. Today was mostly a lot of freeway type driving interrupted in the morning with the deluge that I had been avoiding for day's 1 and 2. I finally had a chance to test both the machine and the outfit that I had bank rolled in some serious water and wind.

I am happy to report that the "stich" suit (a one-piece roadcrafter made in Duluth by Aerostich) performed beautifully, which was good because I have been hauling its not insubstantial weight through hell and back for days now. It finally paid off. It's other benefit is to protect me should I have to make an unexpected exit from the seat of the bike at speed - a test I will gratefully put off for now.

As for the rig, I have learned that it is a lot more work to move a hack through the twisty turnies than a regular two-wheeler, but put in the middle of blinding rain and hellatious wind, it is an island of stability. Score for the hack.

There were no "Deliverance" moments today. Today I was trying to cover ground, eat up them miles. The land I covered was mostly farms and sporadic forest. Late in the day, I reached Highway 61 and the Mississippi. Almost home.

I am again nearly nekkid, ensconced in a motel room fighting exhaustion. Today I was in the saddle only 10 hours as opposed to yesterday's 12, but it all adds up. Tomorrow I shoot for the Twin Cities in hopes of attending the Blind Lizard Motorcycle Rallye on Sunday, Father's Day.

Originally, I had hoped to be in Duluth at this time so I could work the finish line of Grandma's Marathon tomorrow morning. Guess that won't happen. No regrets though. This has been a hell of a trip and I am glad that I was able to do it.

Will post more tomorrow and also some pics. Too tired to do so now.

With love, D

2 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

wow! quite an adventure indeed. have i mentioned my great love of bmw bikes? oh my....(wipe up the drool, girl. you'll short the keyboard) can't wait to see more pics and hear about the tandem adventures.

6:26 PM, June 18, 2011  
Blogger Kristie said...

An amazing adventure. You do know how to live, sir. I doff my cap to ya.

12:06 AM, June 26, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home