Friday, September 02, 2011

End of Summer Ponderings

I am sorry old blog for ignoring you so long. It's not that I don't visit and read the blogs of my online friends, I do, but I seldom feel inspired enough to write on my own.

The summer here by the giant inland sea has passed in a blur. I started out with the best of intentions to do volunteer work for various local museums, but found that other events were superseding my plans in that area. I have done a few shows on the local college FM station, but not as many as I had hoped.

I bought a motorcycle and side-car rig that I found on fleabay and flew down to hotter-than-hell Texas to drive it back and Risa, Saffron, and I have been making good use of it whenever time and weather allow. Just last weekend we went over to Madeline Island, the largest of the Apostle Islands off the Bayfield peninsula in Wisconsin. Madeline Island was a holy place for the First People and much of that magic still remains. The only town on the island is named La Pointe and it was there that we stayed with an old friend that I reconnected with after 18 years. It was a very nice and relaxing time.

It has been a summer of teenage invasions here at the casa on the hill. My daughter made a surprise decision to return home for the summer. Cousins arrived from the east and west coasts for the annual Blues Fest reunion. Stray college kids bunked with us for a while before returning to their various places of learning.

As of a few days ago, the house is now empty and teen free. The daughter went back to Madison and the son left for his freshman year at the University of Minnesota. Now it is just me and the critters rambling around like marbles in a shoe box.

One thing that has cropped up that was not planned is the death of my right hip. I started to feel discomfort in that hip around the beginning of summer which continued to intensify as time went by. X-rays showed the presence of arthritis, but a failed cortisone injection and significantly increased pain led to an MRI which showed necrosis of the ball of the joint. This is caused by insufficient blood flow to the bone and will not improve. I now walk painfully with a cane and am suddenly mobility challenged.

This has made my participation in the theater much more difficult. I am in a play that is currently in rehearsals and will open in mid September for two weekend runs. I am committed to doing this which has meant a delay in having my hip fixed. I am ingesting strong pain meds like they come out of a pez dispenser. Currently I am scheduled for a total hip replacement on October 18. Hopefully I can get in a little sooner.

That's about all folks. I'll let you know how the play goes and give you a blow-by-blow account of the hip replacement as it develops. Have a good end of summer, all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristie said...

Sorry to hear about the hip; what a bummer. Don't be a hero, though, and take care of you.

4:04 PM, September 05, 2011  
Blogger lime said...

yikes on the hip! though i see even that isn't slowing you down much. not that i want you to slow down, mind you. i just echo kristie's sentiments. take good care of yourself.

word veri: ducks

quack!

10:57 PM, September 05, 2011  
Blogger deirdre said...

Hi, because you at one time followed my blog and it has gone private I would love to extend an invitation if you send me an email at ddvalley@gmail.com.

And would it be inappropriate to say 'break a leg' at your play opening?

all the best
deirdre

10:35 AM, September 19, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home