Sunday, May 20, 2007

True Team Win and Snowflakes Fall

As a single parent, I am finding myself having to make choices that sometimes tear me between two equally worthy goals. This last weekend is a good example as I had to choose between taking my son north to partake in a family celebration of my father's 86th birthday (sorry if I had the years wrong in previous posts) where I would see a sister who lives on the west coast and who gets back here infrequently. Or, stay home and go to my daughter's true-team sectional track meet, which on a scale of importance to her, would clearly rank before the second coming. To make it more sensitive, I have only been able to make it to one previous track meet, and then I only saw her perform two vaults. Not good.

In the end, I went north. I got in a lot of visiting and it was good. Late on Friday night, while sitting at a different sister's kitchen table where the volume of conversation was ratcheting up with every round of Lebowskies, I got a phone call from the abandoned track star. The results of the true team competition are shown above. I could barely hear her between the feel good inhabitants of the party I was at and the wild bunch on the school bus returning after a victorious performance where old rivals were spanked.

She is still floating a bit. I was sorry to not be there, but not sorry to be where I was, although I was giving that a bit of thought this morning when I woke up and looked out the window to see snow flakes dancing in the wind. Ah, Duluth - gotta love that place.

1 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

congrats to your daughter! that's really exciting.

i'm glad you had a good visit in duluth too, even if it snowed in the middle of may!

6:24 AM, May 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home