Sunday, April 29, 2007

"Borat" and Family Values

I try to be a good parent, but sometimes, I wonder.

I just watched "Borat" with my two kids on a Sunday night. Now, I spose you could honestly say that doing something like that was not setting the right example as a parent, but I am not sure. It's true that we all got grossed out, and the language was not what the PTA would approve of, and there were scenes that were probably inappropriate for parent and child to be watching together (though if we were watching separately with our peers, we would have laughed louder perhaps).

But still, it was a family activity, and that counts for something.

I wonder about what it means to be a parent these days. I know that my relationship with my children has changed since I became the solo parent. I wasn't all that sure of my parental skills when there were two of us, and am even less so now. It is guided by much more of a gut feeling now that it is just me. I am trying to "feel my way." Much as one might do in a dark cave.

I recognize the difference between "parent" and "friend." I know that I have to be "parent" and honestly feel that I am doing a fair job of that. Still, we have changed since C left us. It is different and sometimes I don't know if I am doing the right thing. Maybe that is the way it goes though. You don't know if you are on the right path, you are just on "a" path, or "the" path. Still, I feel good in the company of my kids. They are good ones. I like it when they decide to spend company with me. Even if it is to get grossed out watching "Borat."

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristie said...

We're all just making it up as we go along, and anyone who tells you differently is full of shit. You love your larvae, and you do the best you can. Everyone who reads here can see that you do, on both counts.

11:14 PM, April 29, 2007  
Blogger Cheesy said...

OMG you brought a huge remembrance grin to my face. I sat and watched "American Pie" once with my kiddos years ago. Needless to say... apple pie at family functions will never be the same. Never doubt your parenting skills! If you show them love, fairness and compassion you can't go wrong. When I was left to fend and tend the 5 hunyuks I was scared shitless. As it ended up they all grew into lovely, caring, funny adults. They raised me just fine!

8:06 AM, April 30, 2007  
Blogger lime said...

i think it says somethign that your kids are comfortable watching borat with you AND that laughter weas somewhat restrained. means they both trust you but know there are standards. it's all good. you know your kids best and what they can handle and can't.

call me a bad mom but i watched wayne's world with my boy when he was about 9. to this day i canot hear hendrix's 'foxy lady' without laughing like a fool because my boy does sucj a hilarious rendition of the scene involving that song.

10:38 AM, April 30, 2007  
Blogger Leesa said...

I agree with Spikey...

You love them, and you're there for them.
I would have given anything for that.

11:35 AM, April 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home