Sunday, May 13, 2007

Prom

Here are the belles of the ball. This is my daughter's posse at the "parent photo session." This was followed by the Grand March which is an experiment conducted to see just how much heat a thousand parents can generate in an enclosed space in the dark as their offspring queue up and walk from one spotlit platform to the next, stopping to do some photo-worthy routine at each spot. Apparently critical mass was reached and the mass altered the space-time ratio because it took about a year to finish. Last year I was inside, close to one of the spotlit platforms and was treated to an unending tableau of dresses stepped upon and snatched upon desperately before we all witnessed a wardrobe malfunction. This year I got there late and couldn't even get into the Grand March and was relegated to standing in the hall outside the exit doors where it was all high-fives amongst those wearing dresses and not experiencing the aforementioned malfunction.

Today, of course, it is all over. There was the "dinner," and the "limo" (which my daughter declined to participate in because it was "excessive," and a good thing too. I saw them wedged into that limo like sardines in a can. Although, from a boy's perspective, maybe that was the perfect thing). There was the "dance" of course, but who knows if there was any real dancing going on. I have it on good authority that Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire would have been scandalized had they shown up.

Then there was the whole co-ed sleepover at an old friend's house. Good thing it was somewhere else. I feel too old fashioned to have done it here. Sometimes, ignorance is, if not bliss, then at least allowing for fatherly sleeping. So, now I have a girl back home with the attitude that comes from too little sleep and post-event let down. I think she had a good time, but I am not sure if this kind of thing is really her bag.

More later.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristie said...

I looked at all the pictures, and I like this one best. For all the finery, they're still kids. I have to say, I think the girls looked far more comfortable in their get-ups than the boys did. That one kid's jacket looked like he'd borrowed it from his much older, and much bigger, brother! :)

4:55 PM, May 13, 2007  
Blogger lime said...

this really is a fun shot. we'll be doing the scene the end of this month. there is much debate as to the co-ed sleepover thing....we shall see...

7:58 PM, May 13, 2007  
Blogger Cheesy said...

I see you survived the big event... WTG and ^5!

That damned coed-sleep over thing really got to me too... I just never understood WHAT damned parent was the first to think it was ok to host this... I always wanted to bitch~slap them. I seemed to be the only parent that didn't think this was ok..lol.. at least thats what my kids always told me!

8:28 AM, May 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home