Friday, August 22, 2008

We're Baaaaaaaaack


Actually, we've been back for a while, but this is the first real chance to sit down and write. As I do so, there is a party going on outside my door. Some of my son's friends organized a surprise going away party for him and as I took him out this afternoon on a shopping trip for his long promised cell phone and some other stuff, the friends gathered at our house and set up for the party.

He never suspected and the expression on his face as we walked through the door to a rousing chorus of "surprise" was a Kodak moment for sure. That was about five hours ago and things are still going strong.

So, a recap of what's been going on since the last update. We did the Blues Fest in Duluth and spent a week full of blues and family. There were dinners, poker, sun, ships, blues, more food, more blues, more beer, more blues. When it was all over, we bid adieu to Duluth and moved about 40 miles east and a little south to a cabin on the Brule River in Wisconsin for a week of relaxation, moving water, samores, fires in the fireplace, canoing on the river, rapids, picnics and lots of just kicking back and doing not much at all.

From there, it was home to face the music. We had a week to get my son packed up and moved back up to Duluth to start school and a few more days to get my daughter packed and moved to Madison for college. Right now, out house is a pile of boxes, bags, and piles of things that are not yet sorted and packed away.

Tomorrow, my SIL will drive down from Duluth in a pickup truck to help move the boy. Hopefully, we will be able to get the stuff he needs right away in one truck and my car for the move north. Since the house itself is not ready yet, we will be living in one or more alternative locations until we can move into the house. Our first temporary spot will be a guest apartment in the same complex my mother is living in so we will have lots of opportunity to spend time with her which will be good for all of us. After that, I hope we can move into the mother-in-law apartment in the lower level of our own house which is not seeing the level of remodeling as the rest of the house. We shall see if that works out.

After moving the boy, I will stay in Duluth for a day to take care of business up there before returning to the Cities and making ready for the move to Madison with the girl. The question there is whether we can get everything loaded into the Audi wagon (or on top). Yes, we have de-mothballed the White Whale for the Madison move. The Prius has been terrific so far, but we need the cargo capacity and the roof racks for the futon couch and the bicycle. Hopefully, we will be able to stuff everything else into the cargo bay. We will see.

Still no bites on the house sale. When all of the moving commotion settles down, I will have to schedule a meeting with my realtor and see if we can get things moving.

Last Thurday, I went down to the Mayo for my monthly checkup and to pick up a new supply of the study drug. Everything went smoothly and there were no surprises. I feel good and am glad that things continue to trend in a favorable direction.

In closing, I want to share a little of the tranquility I found on the river last week. I started every day with a cup of coffee down on the dock before others rose from their beds. There was usually no breeze to disturb the surface of the water. All was serene and quiet. The only sounds were the occasional blurp of a rising fingerling. On a couple of occasions, I was witness to a passing bald eagle flying up or down river. It was magical. The photo does not do it justice.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cheesy said...

Quick suggestion...
Working as a letter carrier in a college town a lot of kids ship their belongings in shipable plastic containers. It may save car space. A lot of our returning vets use them too!
Good luck on the relocations.. I am so happy you were able to take a breather first~~

6:35 AM, August 23, 2008  
Blogger lime said...

it sounds like your time away was wonderful. aaahhhhhhhh....

glad to hear you are also feeling well and news on that front is good.

hoping the various transitions go smoothly and the house sells soon.

1:46 PM, August 23, 2008  
Blogger Kristie said...

I was talking to my mom recently about our cabin on the Brule. I haven't been there in a decade, and I'd barely recognize it. If it can be done to an 8x10 one-room cabin, my brother and my folks have done it. I'd like to see it again.

6:31 PM, August 23, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home