Sunday, July 13, 2008

Still Waiting

I was hoping to be able to give you all a definitive report on my health status and treatment program but it was not to be (for now anyway).

I had a blood draw done on Thursday morning in plenty of time for it to be sent out to the lab and the results faxed down to the Mayo. On Friday morning I called the study administrator at the Mayo with that information and asking her to call me as soon as she got the fax. That was a voice mail transaction.

Later, I called the clinic where the blood was drawn and spoke to the receptionist (always an opportunity for the ball to be dropped) and asked if the results had come back and had been faxed to the Mayo. She said she would get a message to the doctor and have them get back to me (another bad sign - I haven't seen the doctor since my initial visit). Later still, I got a phone call from someone at the clinic who said she had "misread" the message and that she had faxed my previous results to the Mayo. No word on whether my new test results were in.

I recalled the study associate at the Mayo and got VM. Repeated a couple of hours later - same result.

Long and short is that I did not hear from the Mayo by 5 PM which means that I would hear nothing more (or at all) until Monday at the earliest.

So, I am still not taking the experimental drug. I am still going through night sweats, but the low grade fevers seem to have backed off. Maybe the white blood cell boosters have worked. I don't know.

So we did what we had to do this weekend. We packed the Dawg off to the neighbors, packed ourselves up Saturday morning and drove up to a friend's cabin near Moose Lake for a reunion of the group who went down to Mexico for spring break a few months ago. My assignment was appetizers and Mango Martinis. I am happy to say that cudos were given for both.

The Mangotinis were so popular that we had burned though the bottle of vodka by 9:30 last night and I retired shortly after that.

This morning, my daughter drove us into Moose Lake and abandoned us at Art's Cafe as she beat a hasty retreat to the Twin Cities to renew her acquaintance with her boyfriend while my son and I waited for our new car connection to meet us at the cafe.

Fortunately we were able to get a breakfast order in before the car guy, his wife and son walked through the door. While we were waiting for the food to arrive, we concluded the transaction for the car and when we walked out full of eggs and hash browns, we had a brand new (used) Prius waiting for us.

Took us a few minutes to figure out how to make it go, but since then it's been 50 mph as we trundled on down the road. Now I'm sitting in my favorite local brew house, nursing a pretty fair IPA and writing up this post. Tomorrow, I'll meet with the builder, feed the money monster, and see if I can get my kid enrolled in a school here.

There it is. I'll let you know whenever I hear from those slugs at the Mayo.

5 Comments:

Blogger Moosekahl said...

Ugh...can't wait till I'm gone from the pretty white castle in the middle of nowhere :)

You going to pass on that Mango Martini recipe? I could use one of those right now. House looks all pretty for showings though

10:00 PM, July 13, 2008  
Blogger lime said...

gees, how ridiculous that they can't manage to get back to you.

i am seconding moose's request for the mangotini recipe as well.

7:07 AM, July 14, 2008  
Blogger Grant Willard said...

You guys bought a Prius?

7:17 AM, July 14, 2008  
Blogger Phaedrous said...

Hi guys,

Let's see, Mangotini recipe:

2 parts vodka
1 part triple sec
1 part mango juice

Shake and serve.

I have experimented with the mango juice part. I tried making my own out of frozen fresh mangos, but didn't like the result. I finally settled on a juice mix I get at my friendly local natural foods store called "Mango Tango." That seems to work perfectly.

And, yes, we did buy a Prius (used with 8K miles).

P.

8:42 AM, July 14, 2008  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Thanks for the update sweety... Much appreciated!

Love fruity 'tini's will give those a whirl this coming weekend at the beach. How are you liking the Prius?

8:52 AM, July 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home