Monday, June 23, 2008

Bonehead

Sometimes you just think that you would be smarter by now. All of these years of mistakes and learning from those mistakes should add up to something, don't you think. I think so, but then, I don't seem to be a good example of that.

Tonight, I had both of my children sitting down for a family dinner for the first time in weeks. The evening was beautiful. We ate out on the screen porch and the neighbor did not decide to mow his lawn with the world's loudest riding mower. The burgers were good and the beans unusual. Pretty much perfect.

Until my daughter and I started in on one of our sarcastic banters, which started fine but before I knew it had swerved over into a mess of quicksand and emotional razor wire. This resulted in my daughter stomping out of the house and my son informing me that she was going to come back and kill me in my sleep. What a comforting thought.

Then, later, I decided to watch a netflix movie I had rented based upon its academy award nominating acting not really sure of the subject matter. The movie, "Away From Her" was a beautifully shot and acted story of what Alzheimer's can do to a relationship. A real pick-me-up. Sometime in the middle of that, my son came up and insisted that this was the right time to get him a cell phone. That didn't go very well either.

So now, here I sit, having pissed off both of my children and feeling emotionally drained by a film that would make Rachael Ray slit her wrists on camera it was so sad.

On the positive side of things though, I managed to mow the lawn without severing any vital utility. The house did not burn down even though I forgot to turn off the grill when the burgers were done. And the phone company guys came and buried the phone line without tearing up the septic system (or at least they didn't tell me if they did). Plus it was a gorgeous day with humming birds sipping at both feeders.

So I guess you have to take a balanced approach to these things. I already hugged my son and told him that I was happy he was home and I will do the same to my daughter if she comes home before I lose consciousness.

On the health front, I am still off of the study drug. My neutrophil counts are still too low to start up again. I will have another blood draw done later this week to see if they have improved further.

Ta.

4 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

oh man, i know the serene dinner scene veering off into horror all too well. not that i wish the shattering of peace on you but i am glad to know it's not just me.

may i recommend some monty python the next time strife reigns in the house. it's a lot lighter than alzheimer's themed flicks.

hoping your blood counts come up soon.

8:20 AM, June 24, 2008  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Healing hugs are the bestest... I truly hope you get to share one with the gurlie child soon...
I saw my first hummingbird last night out the kitchen window while speaking to my sister on the phone... she now is convinced I am a total nerd as I got all woohoohoo and excited... sigh-she is right of course.

10:47 AM, June 24, 2008  
Blogger amanda said...

Oh yuck, how ugly that dinner and cell phone conversation must have been... I am having the same type of week- devestated family because of a dead uncle, sisters offended by innocent comment, and mother calling my cell at 330pm because of crushing pain in her hand (newly diagnosed arthritis). I think I have lost several years off my life in the last 48hrs. Hope yours continues to look up and those neutrophils start to multiply!

2:17 PM, June 24, 2008  
Blogger Kristie said...

I recently watched that movie, too. It broke my heart.

9:50 PM, June 24, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home