Saturday, March 29, 2008

Fatigue

That's the word of the day (yesterday too). Hard to tell the cause. Could be longer term effects of the experimental chemo drug I am doing (almost done with week four now). Could be low blood counts. Could be teenagers. Might be all of the above.

Yesterday I felt like I was carrying around a whole other body. I just wanted to go back to bed and lie down. Finally got my chance and was just drifting off when my son called needing a pick up at school. Groan.

Today is a much lazier day for me. Slept in a little, took care of the dog, made coffee, did some financial's. Then it was back to bed with the morning paper and a little "not quite sleeping, but not really here either" type activity.

Another puzzling condition that has appeared is that of joint pain. My left hip is the most significant, but I am also feeling it in some of the joints in my left hand. My neck is likewise sore and stiff. Again, it is hard to know what the cause might be. One of the rarer side effects of this chemo drug is joint pain, so it may be that. I can put up with it if the drug is doing positive things to the lymphoma.

Other than that, we are still waiting for significant signs of spring. Mostly, I want the septic system to thaw. That won't happen until the ground thaws and that won't happen until the snow melts completely over the frozen pipe and the frozen ground finally warms up. We need prolonged temps up over the freezing mark and that hasn't happened so far.

I was up north in the middle of last week to meet with our builder and to complete some of the financial arrangements needed to go forward with the renovation of my mother's old place. It was there that I received the call from my son that the septic alarm had gone off about midnight the night before. The kids did the right thing. They disconnected the alarm and used minimal water the next morning. I was able to call the plumber from up north and arrange for him to come over and pump the tanks before we wound up with sewage all over the lower floor.

I was having this conversation as I was leaving town with the car headed south in order to get home in time for a quick cleaning before a prospective house buyer appeared for a showing. Fortunately, the kids did a pretty good job of picking up their rooms before heading for school so there was a minimal amount of policing that I had to do. Then it was off to the doctor's with the boy so he could get his track physical out of the way while the house was being shown.

I hate these showings but we need to get more folks through the house if we expect to sell it in a reasonable amount of time. The remodeling of my mom's place (now my place) is getting close to the start date and I would feel a whole lot better if I knew I wouldn't be sitting on two properties for an extended period of time.

It will work out is my current mantra. What else can I say?

4 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

yeesh, you failed the mention the back and forth between north and south, the necessary septic vigilance, and the need to keep on top of the house for showings as contributors to fatigue! any of those in conjunction with your other possible causes sound reasonable to me.

here's hoping you sell soon and thaw even sooner. also hoping the joint pain just means the chemo is doing what it's supposed to do.

4:31 PM, March 29, 2008  
Blogger Moosekahl said...

You have all sorts of reasons to be exhausted...I think taking a day to not be "there" is fine. When do you head my way again?

4:53 PM, March 29, 2008  
Blogger Phaedrous said...

Hey, Lime. Yeah, well, there were some other possible culprits, but where does one stop?

Moose, I'll be down on the 8th. What's on your calendar?

5:00 PM, March 29, 2008  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Oh lawrd.. I haven't done chemo in quite a few years but I do have those pains from time to time.....

Old age darlin! ***evil grin***

Sometimes you just have to say WHOA~~

8:48 PM, March 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home