Thursday, February 28, 2008

Test Results

I finally heard from the doc at the Mayo today, two days late and after two prodding phone calls. She apologized and said that it was a combination of being really busy and trying to decide what to do with me.

As it turned out, the test results were better than expected. My lymphoma has not morphed into a more aggressive variety and the involvement of the bone marrow was only about 10%. Based upon my most recent blood work, she had expected different results. So, as these things go, it was good news.

Later in the day I heard back from one of her research assistants to set up my next visit and to confirm which study I would be entering. I will go back to the Mayo on Monday for a few more blood tests, a visit with the doc, and pick up my first month's worth of pills. From then on, it is one visit per month with some sporadic testing along the way to see if the experimental drug is having any effect.

I won't kid you here. I am not expecting miracles. I am not ruling them out either. This is one of the places where one has to be a "realistic optimist." I try to keep hope alive without crossing the line of delusion. It has gotten me this far and I hope for a bit more.

So, that's the news from the still frozen north. It's snowing outside the window, but I know warmer weather is coming.

4 Comments:

Blogger Moosekahl said...

Amen for a little "happy" news. not bells and whistles but anything "better" than "worse" is always a plus. holler at me if you have time in town!

8:57 PM, February 28, 2008  
Blogger lime said...

we give a hurray over any degree of good news.

9:22 PM, February 28, 2008  
Blogger Kristie said...

Any good news is welcome news. I'm glad it came to you, and that your schedule can settle down a little once they've got you squared away.

9:57 PM, February 28, 2008  
Blogger Cheesy said...

I totally believe in small miracles and being possitive... chin up babe!

10:21 PM, February 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home