Sunday, January 27, 2008

Heading for the Hills

As I type, I have on my new skid-lid which was kind of an impulse buy as we were at REI to get my kid some goggles. I have been thinking about getting one for years, but just never got around to it. Since I am leaving Tuesday for a week of Colorado steep-n-deep I figured I would pick one up. It's a bit tight, so I am wearing it for a while to see if I can squish the padding down some.

I wasn't sure if I would make this trip. As some of you know, my father passed last Friday and I was not sure what the schedule would be regarding services. We decided to set things up for February 18th which will allow for my distant siblings for make arrangements for leave and travel. It also allows me to use the Colorado tickets that otherwise would have gone to waste.

So I will be off to ski camp for the first time in three years. This is kind of a special occasion where friends gather at a condo in Breckenridge. One comes from Tokyo, some from the Midwest. There is a daily rhythm that has been a bit ritualized over the years. The day always starts with cappuccino as we arise before the sun and peer out the window at the thermometer and the sky - trying to judge the weather and the skiing conditions.

The bulk of the day is spent on the mountains where we ski as hard as a bunch of old fools can. I usually burn up all of my strength early the first couple of days and head back down before I hurt myself seriously. My friend, the condo owner, has usually been at altitude for at least a month (he spends the winter there), so the contest is really quite unfair. Plus, he likes bump runs which are not my cup of tea. Give me the steep and deep and leave the bumps to the youngsters who still take their knees for granted.

Once we have all gathered in the afternoon, there is usually a hot-tub session followed by a bit of single-malt.

This year I have special concerns. As you may suspect, I am not at my peak physical condition. I tire easily now and have not trained at all. In addition, I am suffering from some kind of skin condition that itches in the most insatiable way. I am trying various ointments to relieve the itching part, but will not be able to address the root cause until I return from the mountains. I come back on a Wednesday and leave immediately the next day for the Mayo Clinic to see if they have any special programs that might offer me a treatment option. I hope this skin thing will hold its course until then at least.

OK, that's it. Time to take the helmet off and relax for a few moments.

4 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

i am glad you will have this time with dear friends. i hope you enjoy every minute of it. (and hope the itchies are manageable) safe travels.

9:22 PM, January 27, 2008  
Blogger Moosekahl said...

Glad to see someone is protecting their noggin'!

9:56 PM, January 27, 2008  
Blogger Kristie said...

Have a great trip. Have you tried Benadryl for the itching? You can take it orally, or there's a topical antihistamine, too--it's clear. Might not treat the root of the problem, but it could give you a break from the itching.

10:44 PM, January 27, 2008  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Oh baby sign me up for a hottub session!! Have FUN!

8:03 AM, January 31, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home