Thursday, January 24, 2008

Father

My father is dying.

If not in the next few hours, then probably by tomorrow.

Of course, he could fool us all. His sense of humor was always hidden from me.

I was his first child and he was not an easy father to train.

Not that I knew what I was doing either,

we were both so stubborn. It was a difficult time.

He is still stubborn.

Stubborn at living.

Stubborn about dying.

His finer parts left some time ago.

Off to wherever it is we go when the body's dross becomes too heavy.

His leaving will affect us all.

Like snipping a strand out of a spider's web,

the shape will change, but

the web will remain.

Father?

Do you know that parts of you will remain in me?

Sometimes I am frightened by which part I see.

Pieces of soul,

Pieces of life,

Living on in those left behind.

Fare thee well, old man.

4 Comments:

Blogger Moosekahl said...

A touching good-bye. Thank you for sharing it with us. God's speed...

8:33 PM, January 24, 2008  
Blogger Kristie said...

I'm so sorry, P. Wishing you and your family strength and togetherness of only the best kind.

9:45 PM, January 24, 2008  
Blogger lime said...

oh my friend, you have brought tears to my eyes with such words of depth. i am so very sorry. peace and comfort to all of you at this time.

7:19 AM, January 25, 2008  
Blogger Cheesy said...

I have no words for you hun... Just know many are sending peaceful wishes.

8:17 AM, January 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home