Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Shit - A Showing

I have just finished walking through the house with a cardboard box, picking up and packing away all of the family photos and paintings that have been set down over the last five years. There were the oil paintings that my daughter has done - not framed but just set on a flat surface leaning against something. There were the seemingly thousands of photos taken at school dances and of various sports teams. And there were the photos of us, as a family, as we were once.

All of this so that strangers can come and wander through our depersonalized lives. This is one thing I have been dreading about the selling process - having to leave the house for an hour or two so people can come in and look at it.

I am mystified by the protocol of selling real estate. I would rather show the house myself and be able to answer questions that prospective buyers might have. I would also like to size up a possible buyer because I don't want to sell this house to someone that doesn't feel right. I don't want to stick my neighbors with an asshole.

But that's not the way it's done, so I depersonalize and leave.

I don't know what I am going to do about the kids rooms. They have a half day of school tomorrow and I have told them that the afternoon will be spent picking up their rooms and closets. They truly hate me now.

Today's is my son's birthday too. I have hidden his present and want to make up a series of treasure hunt clues that he will have to find to get to his present. I hope my rhyming sense is working.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cheesy said...

Happy b-day to the kiddo! Maybe you should hide his gift..in the bottom of his closet?? hehehhe**evil laugh***
2 birds with one stone!

1:37 PM, January 16, 2008  
Blogger lime said...

that's the new protocol huh? hhmm,, i'd be inclined to say fuck protocol, i still hold the deed. but that's me.

happy birthday to the boy, hope it's a fun treasure hunt and evening.

3:48 PM, January 16, 2008  
Blogger Moosekahl said...

I'm starting to get itchy to do something new but the one major thing holding me back is the attachment to my house and the thought of having people wander through it to see if it's suitable to be theirs. So for now, I'm staying.

5:53 PM, January 16, 2008  
Blogger Kristie said...

Good luck! I hope you sell soon so you don't have to stay in that constant state of showing readiness; it's a bitch.

They make you leave so that the buyers can discuss how they're going to rip out your favorite carpeting and gut your favorite room without offending you, or you wanting to deck them. My mom sold many of our houses when I was a kid, and we were there when people went through. I couldn't believe the things people said. The taking down of the pictures seems like a bit much, though.

7:53 PM, January 16, 2008  
Blogger Moosekahl said...

Got your message about heading here, I'll get a hold of you over the weekend and we can visit.

9:44 PM, January 17, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home