Monday, April 05, 2010

I is Risen

I am back from the dead - well, not really dead, just kind of hanging out.

We had 21 over for Easter dinner last night. New record in hospitality for the new/old house. Extra leaf in the main table plus two auxiliary tables, used all the plates and silverware kind of meal. We had apricot-glazed ham, grilled orange-glazed salmon, seven layer salad, cheesy potatoes, cornbread casserole, wild rice hot-dish, green beans, bunny cake, and gluten free almond tort. Yum.

This is the birthday season. Risa's was the 28th, mine the 1st, numerous friends and relations celebrating on either side of those dates. Makes me wonder what goes on nine months previous to produce such a batch of BD's.

Marisa gave me a new driver (golf club) as a gift after I complained that I needed more head on my stick so I guess that I will have to play more golf now. Some of the courses are open up here, weeks ahead of the normal schedule. Maybe we will go to a driving range today so I can try the new thing out.

Two old friends of mine came up from the twin cities over the weekend and paid a visit. I was reminded how important friends are and how easy it is to neglect the care and feeding of friends when miles grow between you. These are two guys I used to work with many years ago and we formed a strong friendship that has seen us through the ups and downs of life now for nearly twenty years. We have seen each other raise our children, say farewell to spouses and enter into new relationships. We have taken care of each other when serious health issues intruded into our lives. And recently, we have gone long periods without seeing one another so their visit this weekend was most welcome. I must make a greater effort to reach out to those who matter to me.

My daughter is now back to school after a week here at home. I miss her tremendously especially after a visit. She does not intend to return this summer but stay in Madison and seek work. She has to pay for her apartment in any case and sub-letting sounds like a large hassle. This is a sad thought for me to entertain.

This upcoming week is my son's spring break. We thought about driving up the north shore of Lake Superior for a mini-vacation, but he has to work every night this week meaning that we can only do a day-trip. We invited my mother to go along when we do go and last night Marisa's niece asked to go as well. This will mean a full car for sure. We'll see if it really happens.

Well, enough news from here. I will try to post more often as I see a distinct falling off of activity on many of the blogs I follow. Was this just a fad do you suppose?

2 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

sounds like you've had a lovely holiday and birthday season. glad you got some time with special friends you've missed.

as for all the april birthdays there must be some especially patriotic folks out there celebrating the 4th of july with great gusto ;)

6:10 AM, April 06, 2010  
Blogger Kristie said...

I think all bloggers need a break now and again, but it seems we always come back.

Happy belated b-day!

5:06 PM, April 06, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home