Thursday, February 11, 2010


So, today was one of those needle stick, total body radiation, toxic chemical days at the Mayo. Normally these guys are pros, but once in a while you get a nervous newbie who pokes and pokes without ever getting a bucket of oil. This was the case when I got to the stage where they start an IV prior to the CT scan. Granted, my arms have stuck more than the dart board down at the corner local, but still.

I knew I was in trouble when she kept poking her finger in my inner elbow while mumbling to herself. I finally rotated my arm to give her a peek at a visible vein on the backside which she attempted to tap but wound up cursing at the little bastard before pulling out and switching to the other arm. At that point I was praying that someone with more experience and competence would stroll by and offer a little assistance.

Sometimes the rulers of the universe hear those little pleas and I heard the magic words, "Hey, can you look at this and see if you can feel something?" The pro took over after saying "Well, there is a deep one here. Why don't you get the next one and I will take care of this." And with a determined look on his face, he successfully tapped a vein somewhere down deep and taped everything in place. My poor arms look like pin cushions.

After that, everything was fairly straight forward. I managed not to puke during the CT (the dye they shoot into the IV just before the scan tends to make me nauseous). I got to eat after that and pigged out at a Greek cafe with the special of the day - Greek omelet. I even got to go back to the motel for a brief moment in between appointments to check email.

The result of all of this is that there continues to be no sign of the lymphoma (yea), but the lungs look worse, which was no surprise to me because half way through last weeks ski camp my lungs protested the lack of oxygen and the overwork placed upon them by filling up with the body's equivalent of land fill. Plus my sinus's sprung a leak so that when I would lie down to sleep, my nasal passages would either swell shut or start leaking blood, or both alternately, while my lungs sounded like they were sloshing with each breath.

I told the doc not to worry about the scan - that it was the effect of over exertion at high altitudes and that I would probably get better. She bought it and I was set free. Well, kind of. I have to go to a "lipids clinic" tomorrow (hence the motel). See, my cholesterol has been a little high (like for the last forty years of my life) and the doc is concerned. So, to stay on her good side, I agreed to this appointment. So, tomorrow I will learn all of the good things I should be doing to lower the scourge of the blood system.

Actually, I think that a nice quick massive coronary wouldn't be a bad way to go. I actually did everything I could to bring one on while at ski camp. Not so intentionally, but going all out at 13,000 feet is one great heart stress test. The ticker kept up though. Who knew?

OK, have a good weekend out there wherever you are.


Blogger lime said...

yeesh, the repeated arm poking seemed bad enough but the description of the lung/sinus crud even worse.

i've been at 13K feet and thought i'd pass out just lugging a wheelie bag 100 yds at a rapid clip in the airport. walking up stairs made me feel like i was about 80 years old. i can't imagine the way your lungs must have felt.

9:37 AM, February 12, 2010  
Blogger Moosekahl said...

Did you eat at Mac's across the plaza from Barnes and Noble? You are making me home sick a bit :)

1:20 AM, February 17, 2010  
Blogger Phaedrous said...

I did eat at Mac's. Sorry to cause you homesickness.


11:55 PM, February 18, 2010  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home