Monday, June 04, 2007

Suicide by Cookie

Well, the insurance cock-up appears to be settled - for now. What a fiasco. I don't blame them for wishing me off their rolls. I am a high maintenance insuree. They are going to lose money on me after losing a bunch on C. So, I can see where they would want me gone.

Problem is, I paid my money. I did what I was sposed to do. So, they have to suck it up. Sposed to, anyway. We'll see.

In the mean time, my son has decided to do me in with chocolate chip cookies. Not just his, but the tail end of the batch that a kind neighbor dropped off this weekend. So here I sit, fat and choclified at the end of a stressful Monday.

I must say, I am not a big fan of government programs or intrusion into one's personal life, but this health care business is one area that affects us all and should see more involvement from our elected officials. There are a lot of areas that our legislators seem to feel they must get involved, such as bridge building and tax relief for those who contribute heavily to their campaigns, but health care is something that we all need and the insurance part should be available to all, not just those who are working and have employers who will contribute to it.

Right now, I am trapped. Because I had a "preexisting condition" when I was laid off, I can't go out and find health insurance. I was covered under C's policy, but by the time I was laid off, she was already pretty sick herself and not working. We both got by on her long-term disability until she died and then had 12 months of extended health insurance coverage, but that is gone now. I am paying for extended coverage under a state plan that seems to be interpreted differently by everyone I talk to. It will be available for 12 months at the minimum. What happens after that, I don't know.

What I do know is that I wish our government spent as much time and money trying to make adequate health care available to its citizens for an adequate cost. Don't get me going on how I feel about what they do spend their time on.

OK, I'm done complaining now. Have a good night.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristie said...

I'm glad you have a reprieve for now. I'll keep a good thought that you have no more insurance scares.

11:00 PM, June 04, 2007  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Complain away... after the events of this week,,, you've earned it.

11:47 PM, June 04, 2007  
Blogger lime said...

i really could not agree more. it is appalling to think that decent health care is not within reach of everyone in a country with our kind of wealth.

i'm glad you have some sort of reprieve and i hope you get good answers and there is someone who can advocate for you. it must be very wearisome to have to fight this battle in addition to so many others...

9:38 AM, June 05, 2007  
Blogger lime said...

btw, i always have a satsh of chocoalte and i'd share it with you any time you needed it...

9:57 AM, June 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home