Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Making the Pie

It is the day before we travel north to celebrate Thanksgiving with my side of the family. That means that I must bake at least one pie and if it is to be one, let it be a bourbon pecan pie. This year was the first year I had to make the crust by myself. That was always C's special job and she had it down pat. This year, I attempted a new technique that was included in the pie recipe (clipped out of a newspaper at some point and filed under "Deserts/Pies" in C's color coded recipe folder system. We not only have a wall of cookbooks in our kitchen (a subject for a later picture and post since I can't figure out how to put up more than one picture at a time on Blubber), we also have a series of color coded pocket folders containing all of the magazine and newspaper recipes that C collected over time.

Anyway, the crust experiment was interesting, especially the part where I had to roll it out between sheets of waxed paper and flip it. Needless to say, my black turtleneck still bears the signature of that little maneuver. But, all said and done, the pie looks pretty good and will probably taste pretty good as well. Not that it will matter much after we bloat out on a 25 pound genetically modified Jane Mansfield Special turkey with all the fixins, seven or eight side dishes, half dozen bottles of wine, and whatever else is included in the feast. How anyone has room for desert, I will never know.

I left the chocolate out this year as my number one chocolate fanatic is off exploring the universe, and I have always thought that it made it too sweet (sorry, love). So, this year, we have returned to the purist's version of pecan pie.

As long as I was turning the kitchen into a first class disaster area, I went on then to try a roast apple and squash soup, which I am much more doubtful about. I put the squash, onions, and apples into the oven to roast for an hour at 400 deg. and after watching it do nothing for about a half an hour, decided to skip downstairs for a second to look over emails and blogs. Well, you know what happened next. By the time I got back upstairs the onions were black and the apples had melted into sugar slag. Shit, I knew that would happen and I did it anyway.

Well, I went ahead at that point. What did I have to loose? So now, I have about 50 gallons of questionable yellow/orange liquid that I am going to throw in a cooler tomorrow, haul it 150 miles north, and hope that I can hide it in some relative's refrigerator before returning home. It is a family trait, what can I say.

4 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

ooooh, that's a beauty of a pie! I have to make one of those tomorrow. I've got the pie crust/waxed paper/flippy thing down pat since i do this PA dutch thing called funny cake since i was about 12 and that's the maneuver i was taught way back then. however my crust recipe is too weak for a pecan pie and i have to find somethign more substantial for this pecan thing.

if you need someone to inflict 50 gallons of yellow/orange apple squash slag upon i'd be happy to offer some suggestions...mwahahahaha

8:16 PM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger Radish King said...

sounds delicious. i collect recipes. i'd love your recipes for both.

jayne mansfield turkey, heee.

rk

8:22 PM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger Kristie said...

That's a beautiful pie, P.

"Off exploring the universe"--I like that. I like that a lot. It makes me smile.

The nice thing about your soup is that you can pawn it off on relatives who will lie and say it's great no matter what, and then you can "forget" the tupperware of leftovers at their place.

I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving.

8:38 PM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger Cheesy said...

IM DROOLING! Damn I miss nuts,,, have a piece for me P!

Actually I have found the longer you roast things the better they taste so the soup just may be a hit.
We are doing "Pie Noon" this year... dessert first! All the work I put into the pies are going to pay off... people will actually enjoy them instead of forcing it!

and,,,,, MORE turkey sammies for me me me the next day!

Have a safe trip and enjoy the day friend!

11:35 PM, November 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home