Friday, September 29, 2006

Homecoming

This is Homecoming weekend for my daughter. Tonight is the football game where the home team is expected to get soundly trounced by their opponents. It may rain as well, thereby producing an even more miserable experience for the crowd, but none of this seems to have dampened my daughter's spirit. She left this morning all covered with face paint and glitter, wearing a home made tee-shirt that she painted up with spray paint thereby turning our garage into a toxic waste dump. My car still stinks.

My son and his new girlfriend are also thinking of going to the game, but only if it's not raining. They are not quite as hard-core.

Today is my fourth, and last, day of chemo for this round. So far, it has gone pretty well and I have not yet suffered the severe crash-and-burn effect that has marked the end of the previous rounds. I know that tonight I will most likely feel like crap and tomorrow, but overall, it hasn't been as bad this time. Fingers crossed.

Next month, I will have a CT scan to judge the effect of the chemo. I know it has had a positive effect, but to what extent, we don't know. The second question is how long will the effect last? That's a biggie. Then the third question - what do I do when it comes back again?

Unless the boys and girls in lab coats come up with something new, I am looking at the end game. Timing unknown. It is a sobering thought and is making me think about what I want to do now and for the foreseeable future.

Take care of my family is number one. Take care of me is number two. What that means is not yet clear. I do know that I am considering doing things now rather than later. Depending on what those "things" are, I am hard pressed to see why I should not.

Well, that's the question for all of us, isn't it?

Later....

5 Comments:

Blogger Tiffanie said...

Good question. It reminds me of what you said about reaching for the rings.

4:06 PM, September 29, 2006  
Blogger lime said...

i hope for the most positive possible results and that the coats come up with what you ultimately need. in the meantime i will leave you with a dear friend's favorite quote....

don't postpone joy.

8:47 AM, September 30, 2006  
Blogger Cheesy said...

So I'm curious... did it rain???

Are you rebounding now after the treatments??? Lifting my glass and wishing you many more years of love and life! Oh and blogging!

10:33 PM, October 02, 2006  
Blogger The Middle Child said...

Best of luck to you with the white coats.

7:14 PM, October 04, 2006  
Blogger John Cowart said...

Wow. All this sounds so tough. I have no idea what to say. Damn! I wish you well.

7:49 AM, October 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home