Sunday, August 20, 2006

Lazy Hazy Summer

I am sitting in our lower level where the computer is, listening to K go through her cleaning chores upstairs. She always sings while she works, ipod earbuds in place so she can’t get that immediate feedback as she sings along with whatever is playing. Consequently, she is usually a little off key, which for her is unusual. I don’t tell her because I would rather she continue to entertain herself while she does her weekend work. It seems to make it better for her, and having her do her stuff definitely makes things better for me.

It is one of those beautiful late summer days here. The temperature and humidity levels are just perfect. I finally got out on a bike ride after meaning to do it forever. I did my standard loop of 35 miles – something I was not sure was a good idea due to my lack of training and my recent chemo. I figured that I would just “listen” to my body and would cut it short if I felt like I was getting overly tired. Of course that doesn’t work anymore once you are at, or near, the halfway point, but I made it. My legs are feeling a bit wooden at the moment, but that’s OK too.

J is off with Aunt P, camping up north, so it is just K and I (and Sophie the Wonder Dawg, of course). Things are made even quieter because K is working off the second weekend of a grounding that was the result of some poor decision making earlier this summer. The terms of the grounding are no car, no phone, no TV, no computer. So, the normal decibel level of the house is considerably lower. K decided to spend some of her time working on a jigsaw puzzle and that has provided a nice activity for her.

We talked over dinner last night about that and I kind of wish life could proceed at this slower pace more often.

Tomorrow, things will be back to normal however (kind of) with J returning and part of K’s penance disappearing.

In other matters, we are making some headway in settling C’s estate. We had a court date last week where the Ramsey County court granted our petition to have C’s will recognized. This is the first of many steps in moving on to our new lives. I was also able to finally get someone at the Social Security office to work on our application for “survivorship.” They said that they were able to clear a few hurdles and that K and J should start to see monthly checks soon (I am not holding my breath). I hope this turns out to be the case for it would help things out.

Well, that’s all for now. I hope this finds you all well and enjoying the summer.

P.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tiffanie said...

Did that really say 35 miles? My goodness. That is alot.

8:45 AM, August 21, 2006  
Blogger lime said...

i'm glad for the blissful moments for you and for some progress being made with the SS and estate. and wow, kudos on the 35 miles! even if i had 2 good arms i'm not sure i'd be up to that. it's been soooo long since i did anything close to that.

11:14 AM, August 21, 2006  
Blogger Beth said...

As you know, the quiet moments are my favorite.

9:25 AM, August 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home