Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Heading North

Bout this time of year, we head north for a few days of blues, brats, beer, and family visits. There is a major blues fest in the town I grew up, right on the edge of our great inland sea. The festival site is right down on the harbor with some of the best scenery around.

Aside from the music, it is a time to sit around catching a few rays, visit with old time friends from lifetimes ago, and enjoy the fresh air.

Since this is an active port, it is not uncommon to see a 1000 foot freighter slowly passing behind the main stage as somebody belts out the blues. Quite a nice combination.

While I will be spending most of my time listening to music, the kids will be hanging with their cousins doing things that they find more pleasing. This is a win/win deal (as long as they are on their good behavior). The girl is on a bit of a probation due to poor decisions made at the larger family reunion last month in Oregon.

Don't know if I will have access to an on-line connection up there, so it may be a bit before I check in again.

P.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, have a blast // nice blog btw

6:32 PM, August 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recognize that harbor. :) My family is from there, on both sides of the bridge, and my father and my uncle both sailed the iron boats as young men. My dad actually sailed the Edmund Fitzgerald. He was "retired" by 1975, though.

I'll be flying up there next weekend for a family wedding, but I think I would probably enjoy the blues fest more.

9:04 PM, August 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice picture. Did you take that?

Get some sun. And check in with us if you can, okay?

9:00 AM, August 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

color me red at having completely goofed up your geographical location. i do love the great lakes. they are just so amazing. hope you have a wonderful time there.

2:34 PM, August 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home