Thursday, April 10, 2008

Old Man Winter Just Won't Leave


This is my son in his first track meet as a participant. His sister also competes in the pole vault. Who would have guessed? I never tried to encourage or move them into a particular sport. I figure this is something that you do out of passion. It was only after my daughter switched from hurdling to vaulting that I admitted that I had once done the same. We will see if this insanity continues to run through the family.

As I sit here and write this I am listening to the wind howling outside of my window. There is a late season winter storm cooking up that has the potential for heavy snow and blizard conditions for much of the state. The area where I am located will be right on the rain/snow border for the beginning of the party. It will probably be more intense to the north of us, but you know how those weather guys are. They build it up for everyone, and sometimes, they are right.

The only comforting thougth in this is that whatever falls in solid form will not stick around long as we are supposed to be up in the fifties and sixties next week. I think I'll just let it melt.

PS That's me in the red jacket up in the bleachers.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristie said...

A family of pole vaulters? That's amazing.

My mom said that she's making my dad stay home tomorrow (she has the day off) so he doesn't have to cross the high bridge in the storm. I think it's not a bad idea. But damn...storms still in April?

9:36 PM, April 10, 2008  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Waving at the guy in red!
Supposed to hit 70 this weekend here..
I
AM
GIDDY!

10:12 PM, April 10, 2008  
Blogger lime said...

are you a pole vaulter?

no, i'm a german and my name isn't walter.

ar ar ar...sorry. couldn't resist.

that is an interesting family tendency you all have! gads as ready as i am for real spring weather i know you guys must be going stark raving mad about now. has your septic system thawed out yet?

here's hoping the weather guys are just blowing hot air and yo uget warm winds soon.

7:05 AM, April 11, 2008  
Blogger Crunchy Mama said...

At least you weren't farther south yesterday! We had tornado warnings and all sorts of fun things down here. Can't say I was too impressed.

Never been one for track and field, mostly because I'm not built for sports, but I admire those who can achieve that which I can't. Amazing that vaulting runs in your family. Seems that your children are just as talented as you are. Did they place at all?

2:50 PM, April 11, 2008  
Blogger Moosekahl said...

When i saw that picture I thought it WAS you! I spent a few hours at the track fields watching my little sister-in-law vault. Earned herself a U of Hawaii scholarship. Definitely fun to watch but I don't bend like that to try it myself.

11:30 AM, April 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home