Thursday, March 15, 2007

Live Music

Last night I went out to hear some music. Now, normally (when was that), something like this would not be news worthy, but these days, I find it difficult to leave the house and venture into the wider world. I have become a hermit. But, last night, I had to go.

I like music. It has always played a large role in my life. For I while I had aspirations as a musician, which I always found ironical, because of all of us kids, I was the only one who didn’t sing in an organized fashion when I was young. All of my siblings were in the school choirs, the church choirs, the touring boys chorus – they were good. Somewhere along the line, I decided to pick up a guitar (to get the girls, I am sure) and started singing. I was not good. I got better, and today, I still enjoy singing, but I realized that A) I was not good enough, consistently enough to expect people to pay money to listen, and B) I wasn’t willing to put in the practice and effort to achieve A. I am a musical hacker.

But, I love listening to others who have A and do B. One of those musicians I have been following since the early seventies. A Canadian who has worn many musical toques over the years, but always an excellent songwriter and one of the most gifted and creative guitarists I have ever heard. Bruce Cockburn is the name, and anytime he is playing live where I can attend, I’ll go. Last night he swung through town and played a benefit for our area’s premier acoustic stage.

I invited my brother-in-law to go with me. He is by far, the most musically addicted person I know. In my time, I have acquired, un-acquired, and listened to more music than most, but this guy is in a whole different league. I knew that he liked this guy’s music and thought he would enjoy the show. And it was so good. There is nothing like live presentations, whether it’s music, theater, speech – you name it. It is the connection between the performer and the audience. There is a tangible energy that exists and I have felt it from both sides in my time. It is addictive for all concerned. Last night was a beautiful example of that where an artist created an experience for the audience to enjoy, and enjoy it they did. It was electric. For this, I will get out of the house.

If you don’t know this guy and you like music, listen to some of his stuff. He has been recording for over forty years and is one of the best (IMHO). Anyway, it was grand.

Tomorrow I go in for my first chemo session of this old treatment. I am not looking forward to it to be truthful. Even so, my attitude is positive. I do not know what is around the corner, and what more can you wish for than that?

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristie said...

I'm not super well-versed in his tunes, although I have a lot of his albums. I have more music than I can listen to. But I love Salt, Sun and Time.

I agree with you about live shows. El Rey can do without them; he's fine with CDs. But I go to many, and always leave inspired to do more with my own music.

8:39 PM, March 15, 2007  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Glad you got out and about... but hey! Where was the invite for the rest of us lonely souls??? lol... Will be sending you healing thoughts my friend!

12:54 AM, March 16, 2007  
Blogger lime said...

i'll have to check this guy out. i'm glad you and your BIL had a terrific time at the show. there really is nothing like a live performance.

i hope it gives you some encourgaement to know all your readers and friends are with you in spirit as you start up chemo again.

big hugs, my friend.

8:48 AM, March 16, 2007  
Blogger jules said...

Best of luck with the chemo. We're pulling for you.

1:18 PM, March 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home