Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Facials

No, not those. Where is your mind?

Almost thirteen years ago, I learned I had cancer. It was a variety that they didn't know how to cure and it is fatal. The good news was that it was treatable and very slow moving. In addition, I have never suffered from the disease itself. Only the treatments have made me feel bad. The worst was the first. It was a traditional, toxic cocktail chemotherapy protocol involving four tasty mixtures of industrial waste. I lost my hair, got rodent cheeks, and other less attractive additions to my everyday life. It was also the one that had the least positive result in terms of remission time.

I am going back to that treatment starting Friday - well kind of. One of the drugs has a life-time limit and I have had mine, so in order to keep the number of drugs given to an even number (some kind of tenant of western medicine), I will also receive a dose of my "middle" chemo, which worked great the first two times, but gave me fuck all the third go round.

Why do you want to know all this? Well, because I get to look so humorous by doing this, I thought I would take a facial shot (no, not that) every day and post it as part of the Flickr 365 project. This means that when life is getting you down, you can, through the marvels of the internet, look at someone who has it worse - thereby making things seem not so bad. Deal?

You can find my Flickr Day 1 photo here, or click on the montage over to the right.

You might also ask why I am doing this. The reason is that all the better treatments have stopped working. This is a regrettable situation, but one that has been expected for some time. And who knows, maybe while I am whiling away the hours polishing my dome (no, not that one) the boys and girls in the white lab coats will come up with something new. If not, you are all invited to my wake, which I plan to have while I can still enjoy it.

P.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristie said...

Facials and dome-polishing and a man with a goatee. Jeez-o-pete, P, you don't make it easy on a girl!

10:56 PM, March 13, 2007  
Blogger Leesa said...

I think doing 365 this way is a great idea :)

11:54 PM, March 13, 2007  
Blogger lime said...

you have some of the warmest eyes and it was so nice to see that slight smile. well and you KNOW how i feel about grey beards (down, girl!) if you dare wink or flash a full smile i'm doomed.

and as ever, you have all my prayers and positive thoughts that this treatment gives the best possible outcome.

8:15 AM, March 14, 2007  
Blogger Cheesy said...

I too live in fear of men in white coats.. but for totally different reasons!

This will be [dare I say fun?] to track what I pray will be possitive progress! Oh hell I just love pictures of any kind...
and away we go!

Sorry still a tad of cheerleader in my soul...

8:21 AM, March 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home