Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A Delema

So, I have been thinking about this for a while. A few days ago, I was driving around doing errands and listening to this talk show on NPR. It was about the re-diagnosis of cancer in Elizabeth Edwards and what this would mean to her husband’s campaign efforts.

I tried to call in – not because I had an opinion, but because I had a perspective that I thought unusual. I didn’t get through, which is OK because it would have made me very nervous to speak out on a national radio program. Still, I think about it and would like to try to put it down here.

The other callers offered up opinions on whether they should keep going or hang it up. They talked about how a person with cancer needs to keep a positive attitude and live for their dreams. Others said that John Edwards was running for the President of the United States and needed to put the nation’s needs in front of his own. I feel torn.

From the standpoint of someone who has cancer, the callers are absolutely right. You need to live for your dreams. You need to have a positive vision. You need to live the normal (or not so normal) life your family needs you to live. You need reasons to believe in the future. You need to have hope.

From the perspective of a spouse who had to be a caregiver for a lover who was dying, I believe that no one can devote himself or herself to some other course of action and not suffer for it. The callers on the program I was listening to talked about their belief that the Edwards family had a “true” marriage – one of loving and deep commitment. If that is the case, I have absolutely no doubt that John Edwards could not, and should not be in the position of campaigning for, or holding the office of President, knowing what might be in his path.

If you love someone and that person is dying, you are incapable of giving yourself to some other calling. And that is rightfully so. If you believe that you can give your heart and soul to the office of President of the United States while your wife is dying, I don’t think that I could vote for you.

I like John Edwards. I like a lot of the things he stands for and I believe that he and his wife are trying to make the best decisions in a very difficult time. I just don’t think this is the best time to be running for President for the Edwards family. I wish they faced a different set of decisions, but this is what they, and the rest of the country has.

My two bits.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristie said...

Well said, and with a perspective few have. I have to agree. Even if they truly do have 10-15 years like they're talking about, I have to think there are things other than being president you might want to do with that time.

I guess I want a president who puts human concerns first, and if those humans happen to be his loved ones, so be it. There's nothing in the world more important than that, to my mind. Nothing.

On another note, I find it difficult to swallow that some people thought he should put the nation's needs in front of his own? As a candidate? Has he been anointed already? I'm not aware of having a need to have him be my president, honestly. I find that weird.

9:10 PM, March 28, 2007  
Blogger lime said...

you know, i really wondered your opinion on this whole thing. i pretty much agree, considering he took a vow with her not the federal gov't. and i feel bad because now she's the subject of this whole debate whereas i think if he had bowed out they might have a bit more privacy.

i sure can't dictate what another couple decides to do, nor do i really want to but it makes me kind of sad to watch.

thanks for your perspective, you do indeed have a deeper one than most folks.

10:15 PM, March 28, 2007  
Blogger Cheesy said...

I believe she has a hand in this decision.. it just might be HER dream to see her husband as Prez.. In that case, go for it! I think that in a marriage that is your all~ your spouses dreams are your dreams. My hubby took such great care of me and the kids during my bout,, yet he still found time for his life's paths and that always brought me joy. I truly think they will make the best choices for themselves, their family and the country should it come to that point... Just my point of view.

11:33 PM, March 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home