Sunday, January 01, 2006

It’s the time of year when everyone tries to catalog the past 12 months and forecast the next 12. Not me. More and more, I live on a day-to-day basis. Last night was just another night and today is just another day. Good thing too, because otherwise, I would have been tempted to stay up and behave like a fool, as I have been known to do in my youth. Last night was a quiet one for C and me. The two kids were both off doing more exciting things with friends and relatives (separately), so we just hunkered down in bed and watched a movie. C was asleep by ten while I read on into the evening. While the lights were out, I was still awake (barely) when the clock rolled over. I remember hearing firecrackers being blown off somewhere nearby.

It was good that I got to bed early (kind off) and sober (one beer) because I had to pick K up from her overnight at 8 AM and deliver her to her all-day babysitting job. This is a regular gig that she does every Sunday for a couple who have two young children that need looking after while they teach skiing at one of the local hills. She does it again most Monday nights for the same family. Good money for her time.

For those of you interested in keeping track of C, she has been doing pretty well. We are still on a twice-weekly schedule at the clinic. Last Thursday, her lab results came back all squirrelly so the staff wound up drawing and sending her blood down three times. According to the results that were coming back, C should have been experiencing some extreme and remarkable symptoms, which came as a surprise to us as we sat there calmly reading our books. What was supposed to be a short hour and a half appointment turned into a six hour ordeal. We never did figure out what was going on, but the result was another appointment for Tuesday where we will try the whole thing over again.

Aside from that, we have been doing well. We are slowly cleaning up the land fill state of the house that always follows Christmas. I have been torturing myself over a rack of my own making as I try to work the bugs out of this computer that I recently put together out of parts sourced over the internet. I am thinking of calling it Frank ‘n Stein. After days of trying to tear my hair out (it’s too short), I think I may have turned the corner. It’s been running now for about four hours without freezing up, randomly rebooting, or giving me the BSOD (Black Screen of Death). Of course, I am hesitant to turn it off as that is another place that it sneaks up behind me and clobbers me over the head when I least expect it. Why did I ever think this was going to be fun? Oh well, it has kept me out of other kinds of trouble.

C keeps nagging me about the Christmas Letter. Once again, I am behind, but now I have tradition on my side. Hang tight dear friends, it is coming. Till next time (assuming I have a working computer), TTFN.


Blogger Queen of Ass said...

Cataloging? Are you nuts? I just try to get through one week at a time...

2:00 PM, January 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home