Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Now I Have to Buy a Skirt

Just goes to show that if you wait long enough, the blog gods send you material.

So, I'm sitting around in my leopard print yoga baggy pants and a sweaty white polo shirt with grease streaks down the front where a piece of rocket chicken ricocheted off before landing on the floor sending the dog into spasms of anticipation, and I am contemplating going to bed because I woke up at 3 AM this morning and couldn't go back to sleep so I'm very tired, and the doorbell rings.

No one comes to our door - ever - unless it's one of my daughter's "Mr. X" dates doing a "drop and run" invitation (like last week when the door knocker goes BANGBANGBANG and it's dark out and I think "now what?" and there is a lit pumpkin on the porch with "Homecoming?" carved in it and a little bucket of cookies). We live in a heavily forested, rural community and are not very popular people to begin with so a knock on the door can really stir our house up.

Turns out it is my daughter's girl scout leader which is a surprise to me because I thought my daughter was done with that (she got her Gold Award two years ago), and since I was on my cell phone I begged off long enough to finish the call before wandering into the kitchen to see what was up.

My little antennae started to vibrate as I drew near. Must have been the glint in my daughter's eye as she explained that Sandy had some very exciting news and a special offer to present to me. Hmmmmm, I thought as Sandy turned to me and asked me if I would consider being the troop's assistant girl scout leader.

Now, I knew that something was up, but I figured that it would be a hit for money, or a donation of time to work on the next GS rummage sale or something, but this one caught me out of the blue. See, it turns out that you can't be the assistant leader if you are related to the leader, which meant that Larry couldn't do it because he's married to Sandy. And the person who had been the assistant leader had hit retirement age or something, AND since my daughter is the only surviving member of the troop, the recruitment pool went way down.

My only question is, "am I going to have to shave my legs?"

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristie said...

Can't wait to see you in your sash and beanie. That'll be a great one for your 365 project.

10:31 PM, September 19, 2007  
Blogger lime said...

dangit, sister spikey mace beat me to the punchline...teeheee.

7:50 AM, September 20, 2007  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Please just don't eat a Brownie!

9:51 AM, September 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home